Wednesday, September 7, 2011

More Book Reviews

Here are a few titles I've read recently or am currently working on:


Order My Steps: The life of missionary Paul A. Dennis

I think I devoured this book in about 2 days. It's the story of Paul Dennis who was a missionary to Japan and who happens to be the grandfather of one of my friends and classmates here at IBC. It's an amazing story about how God brought this man out of a sinful lifestyle and gave him a ministry that changed thousands of lives. It goes to show how anyone can be saved and used of God-no matter their past-if they're willing to surrender their life to Him.


The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

I know that this is not a new find but the series is new to me. I've never read them before and I found the entire set at Goodwill for $5.00. I figured I had to buy them and read them all. I've completed the first one (this one) and am currently in the middle of Prince Caspian. They are a fun and easy read as well as being interesting in a spiritual aspect. C.S. Lewis is a genius. Just sayin'. 


Creation vs. Evolution

This was one of my textbooks last year for my Science in the Bible class and I found it fascinating. It's a book that scientifically refutes the evolutionary theory (annihilates it, actually) and gives overwhelming evidence for the creation story and the flood of Noah's day as described in the book of Genesis. I recommend this book to students who want to be able to defend their faith and be grounded in truth in the face of the lies being taught to them everyday in public schools and universities. I would also recommend this book to any scientifically minded person who maybe wants to understand why Christians believe the way we do about the Creation of the world. It's interesting, insightful and faith affirming. And it's a pretty easy read. :)


My Utmost for His Highest

This is a little devotional book that I try to read from everyday. Oswald Chambers is one of my favorite devotional writers. He deals a lot with subjects in a much deeper way than most modern Christian writers. He addresses things such as suffering, total surrender to God, complete trust in God. I would recommend adding this into your daily devotional routine for a little extra insight on becoming a more effective Christian.



Benjamin Franklin: the autobiography and other writings

Okay, I know what you're thinking. I picked this book up at Goodwill for 99 cents and surprisingly enough it is very interesting. To me at least. It's a detailed word portrait of this important figure in our nation's history. He tells about his life in great detail, reviewing decisions he made as good or bad and giving practical advice to the reader on how to avoid the bad decisions and make good ones. He speaks in depth about the importance of frugality, temperance and many other virtues and how to practically apply them to your own life. It's also interesting to me because he deals with a variety of subjects such as personal relationships, business endeavors and his religious inquiries. Maybe it wouldn't be interesting to most people but I am thoroughly enjoying it. :)

Reading is awesome. I've been trying to read more and I've quite enjoyed rediscovering my love affair with the written word. Challenge yourself to read something new. Whether it be educational or a novel, it's beneficial to your brain. :)

No comments: