Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

My week has been fairly busy. I've had things to do almost everyday but there has still been lots of time for bike rides and walks and book reading. And dance parties in my room. :)


Maria and I had a great "day of rest" on Monday. Tuesday nights, we have a Bible study called Focus which takes place at the home of a couple in the church. It's a nice little get-together. Wednesday of course we had church and I had the opportunity to introduce myself to the youth class downstairs. Hopefully sometime next month I'll be teaching the class on a Wednesday night. It will be fun. :) They're a crazy bunch of youngsters.


Thursday night I had my first leadership meeting here. They take place once a month and are basically just a touch-base with the Davis's and a chance to go over the calendar and bounce some ideas around. July is looking like a very busy month! But that's the way I like it. 


Friday evening I had the opportunity to experience Illinois Youth Camp. Brother Luke Levine was the evening speaker. He was great at connecting with the kids and his testimony was amazing! The kids prayed great in the altar. Also, to my surprise, Brother Gallion was there. He had a booth set up with info about IBC. Since I didn't know anyone from Illinois, I helped him out in the booth a little while the people I came with socialized and caught up with friends. I had a chance to talk to some girls about coming to IBC and told them my testimony about how God had worked it out for me. It was a lot of fun.


Today I slept until about 1. Before you judge me, you should know that I didn't get home til almost 3, and then I had to do some stuff before I went to bed. :) Anyway, I went with Sister Davis and a couple from the church to a nursing home/assisted living place and we did a hymn sing and a little devotional. It was a different place from where we were last Sunday, but as usual, we had a warm reception. We had music practice tonight for Wednesday night. Maria is deserting me for 2 weeks so another girl from the church and I are sharing piano-playing responsibilities. :o Afterward, Sis. Saponari and I went to a brand new grocery store that just opened up here that I completely fell in love with. It's called HyVee and it's like Harris Teeter and Trader Joes together on steroids and with a food court. Yeah...that's the best way I can describe it. Oh. And it has a Caribou Coffee. :)


Tomorrow we are having a Father's Day cookout following church. We're all supposed to bring a dish so I made my favorite summer salad. Spring greens and baby spinach with chicken, chopped almonds, crumbled  feta cheese, blueberries and strawberries. Served with Strawberry poppyseed dressing. Yes, I know you're drooling right now.


I wish I could be home for Father's Day tomorrow. I have an awesome daddy and I miss him. I miss my family and my church family. I miss my "padre" family and my IBC family. I have so many families all over the place. It makes me sad. But also thankful. So Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. If you're with your dad this Father's Day, make sure you hug him! Not all of us have that luxury. Until next time...


p.s. My parents mailed my camera cord so pictures should be coming soon! :)

No comments: